The Perks of being a Wallflower (not the movie)

Wednesday, October 10, 2012


The perks of being a Wallflower is a story about what it’s like to travel that strange course through the uncharted territory of high school. the world of first dates, family dramas, and new friends. of sex, drugs, and the rocky horror picture show. of those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up - Amazon

REVIEW

Way back in High School, I was once a wallflower. I was one of those kids that people don't usually notice. I can only count my close acquaintances on my fingers and trust me they are not more than ten. I did not volunteered to join clubs and organizations and if I do have one its only because it was a requirement. Yes, I was once a cheer dancer that performs every Sports Feast but then again I only did it because of grade requirement. I'm a loner and my only comfort were my books and going to our school's library on my free time. I don't mean it to get your pity or something I was just this little shy girl back then and my insecurity did not help either. That's the reason why when I saw this book promoted on MTV, I downloaded my own copy right away. Its not because of the movie that will come out starring the ever gorgeous Emma Watson and mister Percy Jackson himself Logan Lerman but because of the word wallflower. I wanted to know if this can also be my own life story.

Perks has to be one of the books that I can relate to. The story is just too beautiful and realistic and in most part I felt what Charlie (protagonist) went through being a wallflower once. At first, I did not expect to get carried away having read The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, I'm not sure if I would like the "Dear Friend here's my problem"  and "Dear Diary guess what happened to me" approach and the first few chapters did not help either but Charlie is easily the most honest and insightful narrator that I can think of. Stephen Chbosky was able to create a perfect character in Charlie. His innocence and naivety from the start is what makes him endearing and I like the fact that even though he had tasted teenage experiences, he is still this little boy from the start who wants everyone to be happy. 

Stephen Chbosky also did an admirable job in making me believe that I (as a reader) was the "friend" that Charlie confides to. He did an excellent job in writing plain and simple language even though this book tackles complex and heavy themes like drugs, teenage pregnancy, sexuality, depression, suicide, domestic violence and abuse. And he did not only concentrated on the main character too because his supporting casts are equally interesting and can stand on their own as well. 

What I also like about this book is its endless life lessons on a quotable quotes. Every chapter has group of words that catches your attention and makes you want to highlight it with a marker or put it in your journal. These are my favorites:
“So, I guess we are who we are for alot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.”
“I think the idea is that every person has to live for his or her own life and then make the choice to share it with other people. Maybe that is what makes people "participate.” 
“What's your favorite book?
"The last one I read.” 
Perks is one of the books that I read too late. Nevertheless, I still love this book so much that it earned a special spot on my shelf. Though some would say its not the perfect coming of age book for teenagers it can still tug at your emotions and will take you back to your teenage years and you can't simply put this down.

You Might Also Like

0 comments