Into Lauren Oliver's World

Wednesday, October 10, 2012




Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love

I'm pushing aside the memory of my nightmare,
pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school,
push,
push,
push,
like Raven taught me to do.


The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.


I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame


A couple of months ago I fell in love with Lauren Oliver's Before I Fall which I blog about HERE and since I had just finished reading The Hunger Games earlier last year and loved it, I was desperate to get my hands on another dystopian novel. So when I scout bookstores on what to read next I picked out these two goodies. Honestly, I didn't have any idea who Lauren Oliver is. I just picked this book because it was on the BookSellers Lists in National Bookstore and the pretty cover attracted me.

I'm a sucker for romance story. That has got to be one of my favorite genre to read and reading the summary written on the back of this book, I was intrigued and started reading it right away. Right after I was done with Delirium I began to read Pandemonium right away and thus started my journey into Lauren Oliver's Love-Free dystopia world. Though love and romance as a topic can easily becomes a boring and forgettable book plot. These series proved more than that. Oliver's novels about love - teenage love was well written. I admit, I had a lot of hesitations in reading it and some expectations at that. I don't want to be reminded of my high school days reading Sweet Dreams Romance pocket books. But upon reading the first few chapters of Delirium, I become addicted to it. I was expecting that it will become too predictable but Oliver proved me wrong. She was able to successfully craft a beautiful dystopian world that is not too far from what we are right now which makes it much more real (If you love dystopian novels like me you would know what I'm talking about).

Another thing that I like about this is the fact that it wasn't just a love story. Sure, there was the concept of a girl falling in love and fights their love against all odds and in the end she lost him (Delirium) and she met another boy and fell in love with him (Pandemonium) and love triangles. But it doesn't only focus on romance between two opposite sex but other relationships as well like family and friendship. 

But what I really like most about it? the ending. I noticed that Oliver is so good at making endings that left you want for more. It was such a cliffhanger experience that makes you want to grab the next book. Sadly, the third installment Requiem will not be released till next year. 

Ratings:

You Might Also Like

0 comments