That Boy

Saturday, November 24, 2012



You know, being friends with two cute boys does have its benefits.

There's Danny. Danny is a golden boy in every way. He has dreamy blue eyes and blonde hair that always looks perfect, even when it’s windblown or been stuck under a football helmet. He’s the boy every girl crushes on. The boy I get into trouble with, the boy I fight with, the hot quarterback no girl can resist, not even me. Being with Danny is like being on an adventure. He has a bright, contagious smile and abs to die for. He’s pretty much irresistible.

Equally crush worthy is Phillip. Adorable, sweet Phillip, who I have known since birth. Phillip has dark hair, a perfect smile, brown eyes, and the sexiest voice I have ever heard. He’s the boy I talk to every night before I go to sleep. The boy who rescues me, the boy who can read my mind, the boy who is always there for me, the boy who tries to keep me out of trouble, the boy who irritatingly keeps getting hotter, and whose strong arms always seem to find their way around me. And when he gives me that grin, I can never say no. 

One boy will give me my very first kiss. 

One boy will teach me to make out.

One boy will take me to prom.
And finally, one boy will ask me to marry him.
They will both be my best friends.
But only one of them will be the boy I fall in love with.
Only one of them is That Boy.

This book has been in my to read list since July of this year. I was reluctant to read it at first because I found it a little bit cheesy and I was not in the mood at that time to read contemporary romance because I was all for young adult and dystopian series. The blurb was also too "Sweet Valley High" or "Sweet Dreams Romances" type for me and I might be puking while reading it. I only had time reading this book when I noticed that this is the only book that I hadn't read from my shelf.

This book was truly amazing on a personal level.
Written like journal entries, this book connects with its readers on a personal basis. It makes you feel like a special friend that has full access into JJ's (protagonist) life and her feelings towards her equally hot best friends, Phillip (that boy that lives across her street) and Danny (that boy that live next door).

This book was unusual.
I love reading books wherein the final scene is the beginning of chapter one. It makes your curiosity and hunger rise to want to know what is going to happen and why it has this kind of explosive scene. The blurb looks like there's a love triangle brewing but quite frankly, there's no love triangle at all. I can't help but envy JJ, she's not only beautiful and courageous but she also has two hot boys that will do anything for her and will love her unconditionally. The little doodles in every chapter was also a great idea. Even though it reminds of The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, it has an easy and cute feel to it.

This book was hilarious.
I can't count how many times I laughed and grinned while reading this book. Who can forget that scene when Danny teaches JJ how to properly kiss? That was one for the books! The dialogues are so well constructed and so casual I can't help but agree to some of them like this one:
“College is so awesome! It's really too bad they try to ruin it with classes!”
“Matt is grinning at me like I'm the new Christmas toy he really wanted, but can't play with yet because he hasn't read the instructions.” 
This book made me happy.
It was an emotional roller coaster ride while I was reading this book. Even though most of the times, I was grinning and laughing, there were also some scenes that will tear your heart apart. I can't also help but smile as well that the three of them were able to find their happiness but still treasured their friendship. Even from the start, JJ already mentioned that she was looking for her fairy tale prince


Somewhere, my prince is waiting.

Ha!
Actually, I don’t think he’s waiting. I think he’s hiding from me.
And I was so glad she was able to get one after kissing so many frogs along the way and Phillip was always there for her princess.

This book made me jealous.
Jealous because I didn't have boy friends and one of the most insightful line I've read about friendship, I find it on this book
" When you have the choice, play with a boy. Boys are easy to get along with. They don’t care if your clothes match, or if your hair is a mess. Boys don’t talk behind your back or make up stories about you to try to hurt your feelings. They are too busy playing sports or video games. "
This book is definitely a must read!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Hi! Was just wondering, where do you download books? :)

    ReplyDelete