Callum and Harper

Sunday, December 09, 2012


Life sucks for orphans Callum Tate and Harper Bailey.

Kicked out of their foster homes because they suffer the 'eighteen disease' with nothing but a hundred dollar check from the government and a pat on the back, they're forced to rely on a system that failed them miserably.

So they sit. They sit inside Social Services, waiting for their social workers to call their names and offer them the miracle they know will never come but they sit anyway because they have nowhere else to go, no other options on their very literal and figurative empty plates.

But as they sit, they notice the other. Although captivated, they each come to the conclusion that life is complicated enough without throwing in a boiling tension that can't ever be acted upon because they're both too busy thinking about where their next meal will come from but when their names are called and both are placed on a year long waiting list for permanent housing, suddenly relying on each other seems like a very viable plan B.

And, oh, how lovely Plan B's can be.

Well, except for the psycho from Harper's past that haunts her and, oh, yeah, there's the little issue that neither of them knows they're in love with the other.

Needless to say, Callum & Harper's life just got a bit more complicated. - Goodreads

REVIEW

I had this book in my shelf for a couple of months already. I could still remember picking it out because I was captivated with the summary at the back of this book. It was beautiful and an interesting one. However, it was shelved and pushed back to a "later read" because I was not captivated by its cover. For some reasons, I had a hard time understanding what the cover portrayed. The summary says it was a romance story but the cover looked more like a horror or paranormal type of book. Thus, it just blended in the background and was overshadowed by other books in my shelf that has an attractive book cover. Quite frankly, I began reading it, when I had nothing else to read.

You know the feeling of after reading a book and you're like "Damn! Why didn't I read it earlier?" Well, that's what I felt after reading this book. From the first page till the last, It kept me hooked.The storyline, main characters and supporting ones were put together perfectly and I was having a hard time putting it down. I haven't read any books about orphaned teenagers but this one pulled something inside me. It tugged at my emotional self and I could feel their looses and hardships like it were my own.

This was supposed to be a five star book however what irked me about it was their romance build-up was a bit dragging. They were sparks flying when they first met and they both acknowledge deep inside their selves. But waiting for two years before telling the other one about their feelings was confusing and unbelievable. They were practically living in one roof and married each other (spoiler) though it was for other reason. They could have acknowledge it right away because in the real world, you can't pretend that you are just friends if your actions speaks otherwise. This could have made the book much more relatable.

Overall, I really loved Callum and Harper. They found each other when both of them were lost. They managed to survive in the cruel world that had turned its back on them countless times.They proved that there wouldn't be anything they wouldn't do to make the other one happy. They were soulmates and their's is a great love story.

You Might Also Like

0 comments