Shut Out

Sunday, December 16, 2012


Most high school sports teams have rivalries with other schools. At Hamilton High, it's a civil war: the football team versus the soccer team. And for her part,Lissa is sick of it. Her quarterback boyfriend, Randy, is always ditching her to go pick a fight with the soccer team or to prank their locker room. And on three separate occasions Randy's car has been egged while he and Lissa were inside, making out. She is done competing with a bunch of sweaty boys for her own boyfriend's attention

Then Lissa decides to end the rivalry once and for all: She and the other players' girlfriends go on a hookup strike. The boys won't get any action from them until the football and soccer teams make peace. What they don't count on is a new sort of rivalry: an impossible girls-against-boys showdown that hinges on who will cave to their libidos first. But what Lissa never sees coming is her own sexual tension with the leader of the boys, Cash Sterling.. - Goodreads

REVIEW

Shut Out is a modern-day retelling of Aristophanes’ Lysistrata, a classic Greek play about Lysistrata and her attempt to end the Peloponnesian War by persuading the women of the warring nations to withhold sex from their husbands in order to force peace negotiations. This started a battle of the sexes as both sides try to stand their ground until eventually, the men give in and peace is achieved. Now, why did I knew about it? it was actually mentioned in the book and had played a great role all throughout. I had read Lysistrata way back in high school but to be honest, I can't really remember what it is. 

As a book lover, we have this tendency to compare the author's sophomore book to the debut one to check which is better. This is the sophomore novel of Kody Keplinger after her debut: The Duff. I haven't read The Duff yet so thankfully, I didn't have something to compare of. This could be good on my part because I am not a big fan of this book. 

Shut out again falls into the cliche of young contemporary romance that will somehow reminds you of those pocketbooks you've read in high school like Sweet Valley High and Sweet Dreams Romances. Quite frankly, I don't mind reading cliche high school romances but the fact is if it becomes too common and hadn't offer something new and interesting, it would be disaster.

I really could have like this book. The cover is gorgeous. The blurb sounds interesting. The first few chapters were good but other than that? it was boring. The plot is so predictable and dragging that there were some instances that I just flip over the pages cause I didn't found information that will catch my attention there. Another problem I had on this book was the main drama about sex abstinence so that a war can be resolved. Where's the reality on that one? It all happened hundreds of years ago and it was just mentioned on books but in real life, it won't happen.

Shut out may not be one of the books that will fall easily on my category of "unforgettable ones" I may have stated reasons why I can't rate it a five. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed it reading it.

You Might Also Like

0 comments