From Retro to Rainbow

Thursday, May 12, 2016


I'm one of those people who grabbed their phone first when they woke up and so imagine my surprised when a "new" app showed up on my phone's home screen. I was lying in my bed trying to remember if I downloaded another photography app last night and it was only after a couple of seconds (when my eyes had already fully adjusted) that I began to notice the words written below the new colorful logo - Instagram.

Instagram is my second most favorite social media app (Youtube occupying the first slot) so any updates and such on this would make me freak out - remember that Algorithm news a few months ago? Thus, I tapped into my inner researcher and was up on Instagram's official sites getting everything I need to know about this new update.

Here's what I got so far:

1. New Logo
Say goodbye to that familiar brown retro camera logo and say hello to this rainbow gradient one.


They have also updated the icons for their other products: Layout, Boomerang and Hyperlapse
Quite honestly, I'm not a fan of this new logo. I feel like they didn't put a lot of thought about it. It was just so simple and plain. And it's kinda weird and very contradicting that they put a gradient rainbow on their new logo but when you open it, it doesn't have any bright colors. That brown retro camera logo will be surely missed - I know I would be.


2. App Design
The team opted for a sleeker interface by introducing a black and white look so as to make our photos stand out.


         
I'm currently digging the whole minimalist look nowadays so I like what they had done to its interface. It's clean, less busy and cluttered. It might seem too bright to some but it really does make your photos be the focal point - which is what Instagram is all about.

For more information about this new update, watch their introductory video about this here:




It's so crazy how much Instagram has changed these days. I remember when I first used it at the beginning, I would post anything - from snaps of my newest e-book to shameless selfies and random rubbish but looking back at them now, I realized they are quite lame!HAHA. With all these discussions about "theme" and "feed goals", I become so conscious about my feed. Gone are the days where I would just post random things and pick out a random filter for a single photo.  Now, it's all about adjusting the little things (brightness, saturation, contrasts etc. ) on a single photo to create a cohesive feed for aesthetic/branding purposes. Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling you what you should/shouldn't do nor am I boasting about my feed to get more followers etc. I just love the app so much because this is where I get most of my inspiration. At the end of the day, it is an art form and I just love looking at beautiful photos.

How about you? What's your take on the new Instagram?

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. We have the same sentiments! I even use collage back then and when I am looking back at it now it looks so unprofessional haha. I was also shocked to see instagram's new logo. it looks like a camera app lol and looks common. I prefer the old one too.

    -jean | www.jeaniebeans.ph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I had collages but I deleted it because it looks so untidy in my feed. But, the new logo tho.. it's been like days but I still haven't gotten used to it. And yeah, you're right, it looks so common. ugh!

      Delete
  2. Same, same. I love the new layout but the icon's color, not so much. Their new icon with their previous color palette, though, that I might like. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still didn't get why they'd changed it. That logo was their identity for years. It was so uniquely them

      Delete