Fighting for Flight

Friday, March 15, 2013


What happens when in order to win, you’re forced to lose?

The only daughter of an infamous Las Vegas pimp, Raven Morretti grew up an outsider. Liberated from the neglectful home of her prostitute mother, she finds solace as a mechanic. With few friends, she’s content with the simple life. Flying under the radar is all she knows, and more than she expects.

Until she catches the eye of local celebrity, UFL playboy Jonah Slade.

Weeks away from his title fight, Jonah is determined to stay focused on everything he’s trained so hard to achieve. Undefeated in the octagon, he’s at the height of his career. But resisting Raven’s effortless allure and uncomplicated nature is a fight he can’t win.

Jonah trades in his bad-boy reputation and puts his heart on the line. But when her father contacts her, setting in motion the ugly truth of her destiny, Jonah must choose. In a high-stakes gamble where love and freedom hang in the balance, a war is waged where the price of losing is a fate worse than death.

Will the hotheaded Jonah be able to restrain his inner fighter to save the woman he loves?

Or will Raven be forced into a life she’s been desperate to avoid? - Goodreads

REVIEW

I admit I picked up this book because I missed Beautiful Disaster and Travis Maddox. I actually found it in Instagram a couple of days ago and was intrigued because a lot of people like it and somehow it was being compared to Beautiful Disaster.   Sexy, fighter dude and a good blurb sold me.

Fighting for Flight is JB Salsbury's debut  novel. Considering that this is her first novel, she actually did great. She has a good idea and a solid plot and a good start up point but alas it just felt short towards the end.

Fighting for Flight started strong with a  prologue that promises something. I was immediately glued to the pages excited to know what will happen.  I love how the characters met. But after they officially hooked up, it went downhill for me. Honestly, I don't have any issues with the "love at first sight" theme. I know for a fact that this is the most difficult theme to work on because as an author you have to keep the romance burning and the attraction lasts. But sad to say, once they got past the initial attraction and began dating, I got bored. It just seems unrealistic that they moved in together after their official first date and love confession. I mean, seriously? who does that kind of thing? I don't have problems with insta-love but in this book, it was too soon, way too much too soon.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy reading this book but there were some parts that bored me and some scenes where I literally flipped pages unto the next page. There were too many clogged out scenes that doesn't feel right for me. I feel like this story could be improved. I love the theme, the author's idea and the characters but I wished for depth in the storyline. I wished for a more improved character development. I cringed for a romance story that will make my toes curl and a storyline that is more believable.

Overall, it was somehow a good read if you're the type to look for a simple romance story to waste time but if you're looking for something that will touch you and will leave you with book hangovers, this is not the book for you. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments